Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a complex mental health issue that affects children, teenagers, and adults. This affects their ability to function in various aspects of life, including school, work, home, relationships, etc. According to American Psychiatric Association, 2.5% of adults and 8.4% of children have ADHD.
As a renowned behavioral health service provider in Dallas, TX, we have helped kids and adults manage their ADHD symptoms. While it can cause visible changes in a person’s behavior, sometimes ADHD symptoms can be difficult to recognize. We have listed some common symptoms of ADHD you should know.
ADHD Signs in Children
- They constantly feel the need to move or run around more frequently than usual
- They have trouble sitting still, so they fidget excessively
- Excessive talking without realizing they keep interrupting others
- They find it difficult to focus on activities and are easily distracted
- They have a short attention span, especially during schoolwork or playing
- They engage in activities disruptively
ADHD Signs in Teenagers
Parents may not recognize the signs of ADHD when children are young because people disregard them as part of being a child. But as they grow, their symptoms change and become more apparent. Here are some signs to look out for:
- It’s difficult for them to focus on any work, whether at home or school
- They are unable to finish chores
- They face difficulties with time management and task organization
- They lose things frequently
- They avoid mentally taxing tasks
- They experience trouble navigating familial and social connections
- They face frequent conflicts with parents
ADHD Signs in Adults
An adult with ADHD may experience severe symptoms of restlessness and impulsiveness. These signs include:
- Difficulty keeping track of tasks or prioritizing them logically
- They may come across as irresponsible, insensible, or insensitive in professional and romantic relationships
- They get easily bored or are inattentive when talking to others
- They overlook details
- They are anxious and show signs of restlessness, including feet/hand tapping, constant moving, shifting in their seat, etc.
- Extreme mood shifts
- They get hyperfocused on one thing and forget about other important things around them.
Most symptoms of ADHD can easily be confused with carelessness by others. This is why most people remain undiagnosed during childhood and face difficulties later in life. If you or someone you know is experiencing any symptoms of hyperactivity, inattentiveness, or impulsivity, please reach out to us. Our specialists can help you with their diagnosis and treatment.
At Ziks Health Services, we offer a wide range of mental health services in Dallas, TX. From psychiatric evaluation to treatment, our team of professionals provides consistent quality care that is holistic and nurturing at its core. View our services here or book an appointment.